1. Friendship. In an increasingly complex world, Lions provides
one of the most basic human needs - the need for friends and friendship.
2. The opportunity to make a difference - as an individual you can
have a limited impact, but as part of a group, you can achieve so much more
- in your community, your country, your world.
3. Personal growth and development - Membership in Lions aids your
growth and education in human relations and personal development.
4. Leadership development - every Lions member is encouraged, and
has the opportunity to build their leadership skills and to serve in a
variety of positions, both at club level and beyond.
5. Citizenship in the community. Membership in a lions club brings
you more awareness of your community. The average Lions Club has at its
heart the intention to make the community it serves a better place to live
in, and does this with a variety of programs tailored to the community's
6. Continuing education. Interesting guest speakers bring a range
of views and information for club members. Opportunities for personal and
leadership development are offered.
7. Fun. Lions is fun. A lot of fun. Each meeting is fun. The club
projects are fun. Social activities are fun. And the service is fun.
8. Public speaking skills. Many an individual who joined Lions was
afraid to speak in public. Lions develops confidence and skill in public
communication, and the opportunity to practice these skills in a friendly
9. Citizenship in the world. Every Lion wears a pin that reads
"Lions International". Every Lion is welcome to attend the 28,000+ clubs in
more than 180 nations and geographical areas of the world. Some 1.4 million
men and women are Lions. Instant friends both in one's own community and the
10. Assistance when traveling. Because there are Lions clubs
everywhere, help is only a 'phone call away should you need it. Using the
International Directory, you can easily contact the local Lions Club,
wherever you are.
11. Entertainment. Lions Clubs organize many different activities
that provide entertainment as well as education.
12. The development of social skills. Lions is for people who like
people. Twice a month at meetings, and at various events and functions,
Lions helps to develop social and people skills in its members.
13. Lions "do". Wherever there is a need, you'll find Lions there,
actively involved in getting the job done. Always ready to roll up the
sleeves and find a solution. No job is too big or too small.
14. Family programs. Lions has a range of programs for our youth -
Leo clubs, Youth exchange and hosting, the Youth of the Year Quest, the
Lions-Quest Skills programs and other programs that involve the family.
15. The development of ethics. All Lions Clubs embrace the same
set of ethics. Lions are expected to be ethical in business and personal
16. Cultural awareness. Around the world, practically every
religion, country, culture, race, creed, political persuasion, language,
color and ethnic identity is found in Lions. It is a cross section of
citizens from every background. Lions become aware of other cultures and
learn to love and work with people everywhere. It is truly an International
17. A wide range of programs providing help for the disadvantaged
both locally in internationally - Sightfirst - a worldwide program to
eradicate preventable blindness, Hearing dogs for the deaf, research funding
for the bionic ear project, provision of mobility aids for children, to name
but a few.
18. Nice people. Lions above all are nice people, who genuinely
want to give of their time, labor and means to assist others, and have a lot
of fun while they are doing it.
19. The absence of "official creed". Lions has no secret
handshake, no secret policy, no official creed, no secret meetings or
rituals. It is open society - of men and women who simply believe in helping
20. The opportunity to serve. Lions is a service club. This is the
best reason for becoming a Lion: the chance to do as a group what we cannot
hope to achieve on our own, to serve our fellow man, and to make the world a
better place. Our motto is simple, but it says it all. "We Serve".